Skip to main content

Tier 3 restrictions from 2 December


Tier 3 Business Support Grants (LRSG)

Now that Tunbridge Wells has been placed in Tier 3 from 2 December there are further Local Restriction Support Grants available, on a 14-day basis, for businesses that have had to remain closed. We are currently awaiting further detailed guidance from government about this.

In the meantime, we are setting up our process and businesses that have already applied for the LRSG for the period 5 November to 1 December (under the national restrictions) will receive a direct communication from the council, inviting them to apply for the Tier 3 grant. Businesses should expect to receive this invitation and information about the application process in the week commencing 7 December 2020.

Please note that businesses will not be able to apply for the Tier 3 grant before having applied for the national LRSG, so please go to our Local Restrictions Support Grant page if you have not already made this application.

If you do not meet the criteria for the Local Restrictions Support Grant, you may be eligible for the Additional Restrictions Grant, which is a Discretionary Scheme. Further information about eligibility is available on our Additional Restrictions Grant page. Please note that the deadline for this grant scheme is 31 December 2020.

If you have further questions about this please contact

Businesses required to remain closed from 2 December

Some businesses that were required to close in National Lockdown are now allowed to open in Tier 3. If you are applying for a Local Restrictions Support Grant for the period of national lockdown only, please refer to the list of businesses required to close during this period.

As a result of the Tier 3 restrictions, to reduce social contact, the government has ordered certain businesses and venues to remain closed. These include:

  • Hospitality settings, such as bars (including shisha bars), pubs, cafes, restaurants, and social clubs must close except for takeaway, delivery and click and collect services. This includes restaurants and bars within hotels or members clubs.
  • Accommodation such as hotels, B&Bs, campsites, holidays lets and guest houses must close. These premises can only open for a person in exceptional circumstances (please refer to government website).
  • The following entertainment and tourist venues must close:
    • indoor play centres and areas
    • trampolining parks
    • casinos
    • bingo Halls
    • bowling alleys
    • indoor skating rinks
    • amusement arcades and adult gaming centres
    • nightclubs and adult entertainment venues
    • laser quests and escape rooms
    • cinemas, theatres and concert halls
    • circuses
    • snooker and pool halls
  • At the following outdoor entertainment venues, the indoor attractions must close:
    • zoos, safari parks and aquariums
    • other animal attractions including farms
    • water parks and aqua parks
    • model villages
    • museums, galleries and sculpture parks
    • botanical or other gardens, biomes or greenhouses
    • theme parks, fairgrounds and funfairs
    • adventure playgrounds and parks, including ziplining
    • visitor attractions at film studios
    • heritage sites such as castles, stately homes or heritage railway
    • landmarks including observation wheels and viewing platforms
  • Conference centres and exhibition halls are closed off for the purposes of hosting conferences, exhibitions, trade shows, private dining events or banquets.

Further information is available on the GOV.UK website.

A series of posters displaying information about the various tiers of restrictions in England from 2 December 2020 have been produced by Government. These can be downloaded from the GOV.UK website.

If you require any COVID-19 signage for your business premise, you can download and print posters here.

Business advice line

You can contact the Kent and Medway Growth Hub Business Advice Line:

Telephone: 03333 602 300

The dedicated COVID-19 telephone helpline is available Monday to Friday, 8.30am until 5pm, where businesses can speak to someone who can:

  • advise on the type of business support available
  • signpost businesses to the correct provider of any support measures
  • offer a call back from an adviser to talk through options

A live web-chat service is also manned by business advisers dedicated to providing COVID-19 advice that can be accessed on Kent and Medway Growth Hub.

The helpline service is funded by Kent local authorities (including Tunbridge Wells Borough Council) and Kent County Council.

Other useful business websites

Several business organisations are providing helpful information and guidance for businesses as well. For example:

Contact us

We have set up an email address should you have questions that the links or information here do not answer. We are happy to receive your emails and will do all we can to help.

Please understand that we may not be able to give you a definitive response to questions if we haven’t received the detailed information from central government.

To keep up to date with all the information, and other business support options, please continue to look at the COVID-19 related pages on our website and our social media channels, via Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. You can also sign-up to our business e-newsletter.

RTWT Business Improvement District

If you have received correspondence from the Royal Tunbridge Wells Together (RTWT) Business Improvement District (BID) and you wish to discuss it you should contact the BID direct via the Royal Tunbridge Wells Together website.