Skip to main content

Clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV)

This guidance, issued by the government, is for everyone who has been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) and it applies to those individuals only. Others living in a household with someone who is CEV are not advised to follow this guidance.


Registering for support

Registering online

You can register yourself, or on behalf of someone else, to:

  • request access to a priority supermarket delivery slot (if you have already got priority supermarket deliveries, you will keep them)
  • tell us if you need support in order to follow this guidance
  • make sure your details, such as your address, are up to date

Before you start

To register for support you will need:

  • your NHS number which you can find on any letter from the NHS, or on a prescription

Register now

It is helpful if you register, even if you do not have any support needs at this time, so we know to focus on caring for others who need it. You can log in and update your needs if circumstances change at any time.

Registering by telephone

If you need to register your needs by telephone, or have an urgent need, contact us directly on 01892 554497 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).

You can find out what help you might be able to get from us on the GOV.UK coronavirus support page.


The new national restrictions from 5 November, which apply to everyone, mean that you must not leave or be outside of your home, except for limited purposes which are set out in that guidance.

The government are advising clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) people to stay at home as much as possible, except to go outdoors for exercise or to attend essential health appointments. You may wish to meet up with one other person from outside your household or support bubble to exercise outdoors, for example in an outdoor public place, but we suggest that you always try to do so as safely as possible.

Try to keep all contact with others to a minimum and avoid busy areas. Whenever you go out continue to maintain strict social distancing, wash your hands regularly and avoid touching your face.

You should also try to stay 2 metres away from other people within your household, especially if they display symptoms of the virus or have been advised to self-isolate.


You are strongly advised to work from home. If you cannot work from home, then you should not attend work for this period of restrictions.

If you cannot attend work for this reason, you may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit. Other eligibility criteria will apply.

You will receive a letter from the government that you can use as evidence for your employer to show that you should not work outside your home until 2 December, including for statutory sick pay purposes. You can also use this letter for the Department for Work and Pensions to show that you are advised to follow shielding guidance for ESA or Universal Credit purposes.

If you were on payroll before 30 October 2020 you may also be eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (furlough), which is being extended until 2 December. Please speak to your employer if you think you are eligible.

Other people you live with who are not clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) themselves can still attend work if they cannot work from home, in line with the wider rules set out in the new national restrictions from 5 November.

Education settings

More evidence has emerged that shows there is a very low risk of children becoming very unwell from COVID-19, even for children with existing health conditions. Most children originally identified as clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) no longer need to follow this advice. Speak to your GP or specialist clinician if you have not already done so, to understand whether your child should still be classed as CEV.

Those children whose doctors have confirmed they are still CEV are advised not to attend school whilst this advice is in place. Your school will make appropriate arrangements for you to be able to continue your education at home. Children who live with someone who is CEV, but who are not CEV themselves, should still attend school.


You should avoid all non-essential travel by private or public transport, this includes not travelling to work, school or the shops. You should still travel to hospital and GP appointments unless told otherwise by your doctor. If you need help to travel to an appointment, you can speak to your health care professional to arrange transport support. They can arrange this with NHS Volunteer Responders.


You are advised not to go to the shops. Use online shopping if you can, or ask others to collect and deliver shopping for you (friends, family, or a volunteer, including NHS Volunteer Responders). If you already have a priority delivery slot with a supermarket that will continue, you do not need to do anything further.

If you cannot access food, we can offer support. This may include helping you to request a priority supermarket delivery slot (if you do not already have one) or help with shopping.


You are advised not to go to a pharmacy.

You are encouraged in the first instance to ask a friend, family member, carer or a volunteer (for example one of the NHS Volunteer Responders) to collect your medicines for you. If none of these are available, then you will be eligible for free medicines delivery. Please contact your pharmacy to inform them that you are clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) and need your medicines delivered, and they will arrange this free of charge.

Accessing care and support

It is important that you continue to receive the care and support you need to help you stay safe and well.
We urge you to continue to seek support from the NHS and other health providers for your existing health conditions and any new health concerns.

You can access a range of NHS services from home, including ordering repeat prescriptions or contacting your health professional through an online consultation. To find out more visit the NHS health at home service, or download the NHS App. If you have an urgent medical need, call NHS 111 or, for a medical emergency, dial 999.

If you do need to receive care in person, you can. Your local NHS services are well prepared and will put in measures to keep you safe.

It is also important to look after your mental health. Go to the Every Mind Matters website for advice and practical steps that you can take to support your wellbeing and manage your mental health during this pandemic. If you or someone you care for are experiencing a mental health crisis, we urge you to contact a local health professional immediately.

Any carers or visitors who support you with your everyday needs or those of a child or young person in your care can continue to visit. They should follow social distancing guidance where close or personal contact is not required.

If you need any additional support to help you to follow this guidance, we may be able to help. You can contact us and register for support at the Shielding Support website mentioned above.

You should also continue to access support from local charities and organisations, as well as NHS Volunteer Responders. As well as helping with shopping and medicines delivery, NHS Volunteer Responders can help with a regular, friendly phone call, and transport to and from medical appointments. Call 0808 196 3646 between 8am and 8pm to arrange support or visit the NHS Volunteer Responders website.