Freedom of information
You can use this service to make a Freedom of Information request.
The Freedom of Information Act 2000 provides public access to information held by public authorities.
It does this in two ways:
- as a public authority we are required to publish certain information about our activities
- members of the public are entitled to request information
We are required to respond to requests for information within 20 working days of receipt.
Before you start
We have a publication scheme which sets out information about our decisions, policies, procedures and financial information, you may find the information you want there. We also publish and maintain datasets under The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
When we respond to requests for information there are set procedures from the Information Commissioner's Office which we must follow:
- we will aim to respond to your request within 20 working days
- in some cases an exemption may apply and a request may be refused if it would cost too much of take a member of staff too long to deal with the request
- we are not obliged to deal with requests if the estimated cost of finding the information exceeds £450, this is worked out by charging £25 per hour of work, accumulating to 18 hours of work
- if we think that dealing with the request will cost more than the appropriate limit, we may charge a fee for providing the information; we will let you know if this is the case
- we need not comply with vexatious or repeated requests, an exemption under the act may apply
- some information may be exempt from disclosure under the act, where an exemption is applicable the public authority must adhere to a number of obligations
The act does not give people access to their own personal data (information about you and your records). If you wish to see information we hold about you, please make a data protection subject access request.
You can also make requests by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by post
Freedom of Information
Tunbridge Wells Borough Council
Mount Pleasant Road
Complaints about Freedom of Information requests
If you are unhappy with the way in which we have dealt with your request or disagree with what we have provided, you can request a review. We will respond to your complaint within 20 working days and if you remain dissatisfied at this stage you can contact the Information Commissioner's Office.