Piercing, tattooing, acupuncture and electrolysis
To carry out tattooing, semi permanent skin colouring, acupuncture, cosmetic piercing (body and ear piercing), or electrolysis you will need to register with the council.
This is to ensure that businesses carrying out these practices meet with the essential hygiene and health and safety standards.
Fees and registration
There is a fee of £319 per application. For an additional treatment there is a fee of £54.
If you choose to register for an additional treatment at a later date you will need to pay the full £319 again.
Registration applies in the same way to guest artists where cosmetic piercing, tattooing, semi-permanent skin-colouring, electrolysis or acupuncture occurs. Those attending trade fairs or similar events will be determined on a case by case basis.
Tattoo Hygiene Rating Scheme
The Tattoo Hygiene Rating Scheme is a voluntary scheme that aims to improve standards of tattooists and semi-permanent makeup artists. It allows the public to choose a practitioner that meets the high standards of hygiene set out by the scheme.
The scheme aims to:
- inform the public about the hygiene standards of the premises
- encourage high standards of hygiene across the industry
- reduce risk of infection and unhygienic tattooing and semi-permanent make up procedures
- help raise the profiles through good publicity with ratings being promoted via social media
- showcase your hygiene rating by displaying a certificate and window sticker with the hygiene rating clearly shown
How does it work?
Participation in this scheme is by application and is free of charge. Ratings will take place every 12 months from the date of their initial rating visit. Premises will be rated one to four, one being the lowest and four being the highest.
- Needs improvement
- Very good
See The Tattoo Hygiene Rating Scheme website for more details.
Some documents on this page may not be in an accessible format. If you require any documents in an accessible format, please complete our online form to request them.